Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Rest of Week 5

I went to Animal Care and Regulation Division in Ft. Lauderdale yesterday to shoot a press conference. Map Quest said it would take 12 minutes to get there, and I was supposed to be there at 2:00pm. I drove the reporter, who is another intern, and we left at 1:30pm. We got SO lost, my GPS was wrong, and I spent most of the time on the phone with my dad (because the PR woman was confusing me,) who was looking at a map on his computer and trying to direct me. Plus it was storming, and Florida storms are crazy. We didn't get there until 2:35pm, and I was freaking out...I was sure that we missed the press conference and I was going to get us both fired for getting lost and missing it. But it turned out okay because it was very informal, the reporter was able to talk to the woman and get what he needed, and I was able to shoot some pictures and get what I needed. So that was good.

Today I got sent to shoot a portrait of two people, who are deaf, who live in a gated trailer park. The park didn't want the newspaper coming, so I had to take off my badge and tell the guard that I was just visiting the couple. So I needed to shoot a portrait of them in their home, and then get a quick snapshot of the outside of their trailer. And I had to be fast and ready to drive away in case someone caught me and got really mad. I was a little scared of getting in trouble and someone coming after me with a gun, but this assignment turned out okay too. This couple was so cute, so I wanted to post the picture.

Reese and Linda Gardiner, of Davie, holding their Schnauzers, Princess and Minnie, are moving out of their home in Palma Nova Trailer Park. They have lived there for 17 years. They had a potential buyer for their trailer, but the park office killed the deal. They are worried that the office is going to sell their trailer when they leave.

No comments: