Monday, June 23, 2008

Week 3

So I survived my first week shooting by myself. I almost died of heart failure on Monday when my first assignment was to shoot a portrait of the CEO of a bank in Miami, and he gave me only three minutes to shoot. I really almost died.

I didn't take any amazing pictures last week, but my favorite assignment was with a dog and kids, of course. I was assigned to shoot a portrait of two guys and their dog on Thursday. They rescued Nikki from the Humane Society, and have started a campaign to try to get cities to adopt an ordinance to not allow people to chain their dogs. When the 911 Animal Rescue show on Animal Planet found her, she was running around with a chain embedded in her neck about an inch wide and an inch deep. She had to go through surgary to have the chain removed, and she has a scar that goes all the way around her neck. So now her owners go around to schools and camps and around to the community to talk about the cruelty of chaining dogs. When I was shooting their portrait we were talking, and they told me that they were going to a summer camp on Friday to talk to the kids about Nikki. I thought it sounded like it would be a much better opportunity for pictures, and much more interesting than a portrait, so I told my editor about it and he said I could shoot it. So Friday morning I went down to Davie and I had so much fun. I'm happy with what I got, but everyone always tells me to stop shooting kids and animals because they're so easy to shoot. But regardless, I think I was able to shoot it in a different way than I normally do, so I think that's ok. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from that assignment.







I love this last one, it cracks me up! But they didn't want it.

I'll be shooting something more serious today...the sentencing of a guy who shot a police officer last year. I'm not looking forward to sitting in court, but I'm a little excited because I've never taken pictures in a court before.

And I think I may have found a story! Hopefully...

No comments: